Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mt Prevost + Big Sicker Mtn


Took a trip today - my first dirt road since July...  With the DR 650, Siouxie, moving on to pastures greener (still at Mile Zero for $3999 - I have some spares for free if you buy her...contact me...), Iris, Isobel and myself had to make do with a Mazda 3 "ride" up to Mount Prevost and then Big Sicker (I hand my head in shame). 
 
We were in search of the old mining site(s) with the idea of taking in some views.  Briefly, the road up is amazingly smooth, rock free, and no bike is needed...unless you want to pass the 2 locked gates to Sicker Mine proper that is...  Then a bike would work wonders.  And I missed mine today.  I imagine the roads will get fairly sloppy when the rains come, but today, it was gorgeous.  Certainly Mr. Manta (my VStrom) would make it up with no issues at all.  Still, that little dirt bike is in the works...there were soooo many little roads to explore up there.  Can't wait...Pics:
Couldn't resist: the Misty McMountain Hop...What can I say?  It was just good to be out again...

Typical Scotts: have to conquer everything...
Yoga has the "Downward Dog".  We call this the "Dirty Doggies".
Iris on the way up...
Looking down at the Cowichan Valley from Burgoyne Bay, Saltspring Isl (left) to Cowichan Lake far right.
Wouldn't you know it, my decent camera was outta batteries...So apologies for the iPhone snaps.  That's Crofton Mill, Maple Bay and Saltspring in the far distance.
The Shebang...Cow Bay in the distance...Great Racing there last summer with the Martin242 Nationals...

The Maps...  
An overview of the Prevost to Big Sicker route today - click to enlarge...Get past closed gate#1 and you'll find the ghost town...


 
Some more Pano's below...
 
She's here, she there, she's every 'kin' where...Can't take a damn picture without her poking her beak in...Typical female...(I'm going to pay for that...)
This is the picture I wanted..


Definitely worth the "ride".  I will return with Andy on bikes and do the mine proper...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.