Friday, April 11, 2014

Back In The Saddle Again...A Shakedown Run


Well it's been a long time, but I got out today for the first time since the Decosmos caper on Siouxsie.  I've spent the winter taking the Husaberg (yes that's what it is) apart and making my acquaintance with her inner workings. Being, that she is a 2011 FE390 from Sweden (Austria too as Husabergs are/were owned by KTM - Husky now), I have named her Ingrid, although the blog name won't change.  

The bike itself is completely new to me.  And it is VERY different to the DR: lively is the word I'd use. On the road, I miss the DR's space, softer seat and plusher suspension.  Being as I haven't ridden dirt for nearly a year, my first few minutes today were nervous and I wasn't at all sure I liked what I initially felt as the skittish and lively nature of the Berg on the blacktop as she is shod with non-DOT tires right now.  But within 15 minutes that was completely forgotten once I hit the dirt.  The suspension is out of this world, and at 250lbs you can throw it around and corner like I never could imagine - it sticks like glue and feels like a wafer.  The 70 degree engine is torquey smooth and forgiving, and only when you wind it up do you notice the race heritage - and no doubt the reduced economy, so I'll be keeping those revs down as I try to find the range on the puny 2.2 gallon tank.  And that's the thing about the FE390/450/570 series - smooth, forgiving, powerful, but under fueled...  

Anyway, by the time I had got to the lake, met a couple of dirt riders on a quad and CRF450, shared some stories and a bevvy or two (thanks, Jase and Austin), and the ride back was dynamite.  Loved it!  I'm really glad to be back in the saddle again - I'm gonna love this bike, and, more importantly, where it takes me and my riding skills. 

Here are some shots from today:

Reminiscing about a puddle: Ahh the tank traps, just as I remember them, but easier...Wonder why!



The new dock that someone has worked hard to construct - thanks guys - whoever you are.  It's a great location, and whoever built this, had the foresight to add a seat and umbrella.  Awesome!  Kudos to them too, for stringing up a plastic back for empties.  We all live on this blue marble; might as well try to keep it as nice as possible.

No luck with the fish today, but, frankly, it was all about the bike.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.