Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Photochromic Goggles - Got Them...


After riding last year with my full face helmet and a visor, I decided that for hotter weather I would have to find another safe alternative.  So a month ago I ended up buying an off road helmet (DOT approved mind), I decided rather than using sunglasses that I would get some goggles.  Dalan, an acquaintance who also has a dual sport bike recommended some photochromic goggles.  The advantage of goggles is that they are safe, allow air in around your face for cooling and can be cleaned with a simple "tear off" much like the formula one drivers use.  The disadvantage of goggles is that if you get clear ones, then if it's hot, then it's bright, and if it's bright, you're squinting: I want to remain gorgeous and a chick-magnet for longer.  No thanks. 

So get smokey goggles? 

Last season I used a tinted visor on my full-face, and there were times when I was riding along shady logging roads that I couldnt' really discern pot holes or puddles too well.  The idea of doing the same thing didn't appeal to me this year.

So step up the photochromic goggles.  Dalan had told me he had bought a pair after his riding buddy had recommended them to him.  Dalan can't say enough about them, and he uses them religiously now.  After being told at Spunkies that they don't carry them because they're between $400 to $700, I thought they were a lost cause.  However, today I stopped in the Honda Powerhouse dealership, after an abortive attempt to set fire to Andy's car at Quarterway Elementary, and low and behold there is a sale on goggles.  Not only that, they had three types of photochromics: Smith, Scott and ProGrip.  After farting around with all of them and waiting for them to change, checking the optical quality etc, I found the Progrip were the best for me.  They change within 4 seconds; whereas, the others are a little slower.  The Smith's had distortion and the Scotts seemed to go too dark.  So like Goldilocks, I found the ProGrip's just right.

So wasn't I pleasently surprised when I found that they were 15% off, with a $20 hat thrown in, 7 tearoffs included and a carry case, all for...wait for it...$65.68 ALL IN (included taxes). 

Yes, that's what I paid: $64.68.  Spunkies!  What do they know about goggles, let alone names.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.