Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Husaberg FE390 - Sweet Cheeks -Extending the Fuel Range


Since selling the big thumper and getting the svelte Berg, the one thing I have missed is the security of a huge IMS tank and a range of 300+km.  After several dirt rides with the Berg, I have calculated that she gets at least 20 km per litre of gas on the dirt.  Sunday's ride to the gold mine and De Cosmos was a 124 km ride, and the reserve light did NOT come on.  The Berg's reserve is set at the factory to 2.8L, but it can be adjusted to 1.8L.  The overall tank capacity is 8.5L. 

All of which means I have burned less than 5.7L getting 124 km, so I'm getting at least 21.75 km per litre on a long dirt ride.  That would give a range of a little more than 180 km per tank.  This seems very optimistic given what I have read, but, nevertheless, is what my numbers tell me right now.  

But that's still not enough, so if you look at the picture above you will note a pair of 1.5L fuel bottles bought on line and a "Sweet Cheeks" seat cover with cylindrical sleeves to slip the bottles and their foam covers in.  They seem to work well and were completely stable, didn't leak and, with a bit more finagling, the Sweet Cheeks cover should fit perfectly.  The added 3L of fuel should give me an extra 60+km bringing the theoretical range to 240 km. 

Now that's respectable! 

BTW: Cycle Analyst is the producer of Sweet Cheeks.  It was custom made, for little more than $35.  It's good quality and well worth the money.  As you can see below, there's plenty of room to sit and ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.