Friday, April 20, 2012

April Ride List

With report cards, sailing and deck sanding to do, I'm not sure if I can do this, but I've been itching to get to a few fishing holes on SuzieQ.  Two of them illustrate my Rant in action: they are blocked by resource wastage, either to cut off access to previously stocked lakes, or just because of flagrant abuse of resources.  Both are indicative of logging in BC right now from what I've seen.  But I'll get off my soap box and get on with my blog.

Here's an overview of the general area I'm interested in exploring.  It's en route to Youbou.  It's the same route Ryan and I were skunked on last year when we tried to get to Youbou from Nanaimo, but the bridge was...decommissioned...


 First though there is a lake that is south of second lake called Heart Lake.  It looks fairly accessible.

Heart Lake is reached by turning south between 2nd and 4th Lakes.  It is at 2800ft on the eastern slopes of Green Mountain, and so probably snow-bound still, although it was free of lake by March last year according to this shot:

 This could be a good camping spot.  According to my fishing guide it is stocked one every two years with rainbow. 

Below is an overview of what I call the Log-Jam Lakes, although their real names are Mewhort (Williams) Lake and Radu Lake - the smaller one.  They are mountain lakes too and, as such, are probably still quite cool.  They were once stocked, but access to these lakes has been cut off by the logging companies, so the fisheries cannot access them to stock them.  There are two possible turnoffs to the lakes via the old road to Youbou that turns south at the 'landing' just before Fourth Lake.  I guess I like the challenge of trying to get to these as much as the idea of fishing...


It looks easy enough at first glance.  But wait a minute, what is that!  On closer inspection, it's logs...your logs, my logs.  Cut down, left on the road. Deliberate? Who knows.  A waste?  No doubt.  Effective?  That remains to be seen...


 If I am skunked, then a quick turn and backtrack leads here...


 Mmm.  Not bad at all.



1 comment:

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.