Thursday, April 5, 2012

First Ride 2012


Well I got out after school today and, apart from forgetting to charge my GoPro knockoff, I had a great time!  I was eager to get plugging by myself for my first ride after 4 months, and it was great.  I headed down the familiar Doumont Road, over the tank traps and out to freedom.  The bike was spectacular - lighter without excess brackets and pegs, and the Iphone worked a treat: the new RAM mount was stable and, despite the rocky roads, there was no sign of the iPhone budging.  But best of all, the recently adjusted valves seemed to produce even better torque, and 3rd gear is all you need for anything. 

First thing I wanted to do was to explore the Okay lake area. I impressed myself remembering the exact turnoff left around the lake.  They've added a whole bunch of new roads there, and regraded them, so obviously they're going to be logging seriously there soon.  I stopped at Andy's log, and moved it aside.  Then I managed to get all the way to the Sportyak wreck and almost to the clearing when I hit snow.  Boy is that stuff hard to ride in!

  
I got as far south-west as I could before I turned around due to the snow, as you can see on the Trails KML file below.
There was snow too on BlackJack Ridge (south-east), and I turned around after scooting through it for a few minutes...tricky stuff.

A view of Mt De Cosmos which is still well snowed in...and below, one of the several nearly full Lucky Beer cans that some under-bladdered youth had attempted to drink while firing off 100 or so shells recently...
I'm looking forward to more riding...roll on summer!

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Nice helmet and goggles!! Is that a satellite dish on your chin guard? So, are we riding today or are you out sailing. (Perhaps you want to catch up on your solo riding a bit too).

    A.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.