Saturday, May 19, 2012

Riding OK Mountain

On my last ride, I set off late and decided to visit OK Mountain, partly because I had tried earlier but couldn't get past the snow back in March, and partly because I can see the many vantage points from the power lines when enroute to Rhodo Lake.



After dipping a rod in Kidney and getting a very black trout, I took off via the OK Lake circle route.  Below is an overview from the Boomerang Junction.  The OK trail I took is in red; the blue trail is part of the route to Rhodo.
I rode a few of the spurs, including the direct route up to the peak (the one with a picture icon on it).  Unfortunately, or fortunately, I decided to abort my ride up that route after riding over several steep boulder-river rock strewn sections and being faced with one that looked decidedly risky.  I decided it would be folly to continue, and if I fell and damaged a knee, or worse, an engine casing...  I'm not sure any one-wheel-drive would make up the one I turned around on, apart from perhaps a trials bike, but even then, it'd be quicker to walk, frankly. Below is a detail of that route:

It's a pity, as I wasn't far off the circle trail around the top.  I may give it another go, even if it means walking the rest.


There were several neat vantage points along the way.
 

The ride continues a short way after this, until it peters out at a switch back.  There is lots of evidence of rock slides too.

In fact the ride continued after this one right up to a tiny blocked trail which doubled back and up the hill: there was more scrub alder, broom and small coniferous trees but they weren't an issue.  There were even wild strawberries in bloom everywhere.  Anyway, that's where I stopped. 

A great ride, and one the bike did easily.  I've got another assault on the top planned for next weekend...



Paul





1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a good ride. I caught a trout on Kidney Lake the same day too! Lots of heat coming off those cliffs up on Okay. I dare say that cougars enjoying their favourite warm spot came to mind with the recent sightings around Nanaimo. Lets hope they're gone when they hear the bike. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.