Sunday, January 27, 2013

Suzuki DR650 Valve Adjustment



I first adjusted the valves on DR Siouxsie at 15000km - 3000km after the recommended interval. (You can find pictures and details at the following page: http://drsuzistravels.blogspot.ca/2012/02/valves.html?m=1).

However, it being winter, riding is scarce and since 5000km has gone by, I thought I'd have a look at them again yesterday, and took a poke around. Considering it had been 5000km (the odometer is at 20000km now) they were in good shape. The exhaust valves needed readjusting as one in particular had tightened, so I set them both to 8 thousandths of an inch - right in the middle of the 7-9 thou range. The intake valves though were still as they were when I had set them - 4thousandths.

But the whole process took way too long as my feeler gauges were just too large for the small confined area. Trying to get them level and to FEEL the pressure needed to slide the gauges in was almost impossible, especially with the frame-obstructed forward facing exhaust valves. So I decided to hunt for some gauges that would allow me to FEEL... They had to be small, have a small angled gauge on the end of a rigid rod that could be manipulated easily. I have found some by a firm called Motion Pro and they are sold for $6 each in Canada. Each gauge has two ends and they come in the perfect sizes for the Suzi's intakes and exhaust valves: .004/.005 on one gauge and .006/.008 on the other gauge. The only problem is the Canadian Website that lists them is going to charge $20 for shipping. Come on, guys, they're feeler gauges not tires! So I will continue to look around the web for them. I have another 12,000km to go before I need to the job again. Plenty of time!

Here is the website: http://www.motosport.com/CA/dirtbike/MOTION-PRO-TAPPET-FEELER-GAUGES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.