Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nice Action!

Rain - what rain?  Just good fun!  What a gal!

I rushed out of work today and went to pick both my children up after school.  Well, I was skunked on both counts: Gill was going over to a friend's to help her with Math, and Clem was playing soccer on the school team after a day of weather related off-again on-again texts.  Well, the weather improved, and Clem was off to soccer.  

What to do?

A sensible person would have made some tea and surfed the 'net, happy with the relative peace and quiet.  But, as I returned home, and I walked through the garage past the two bikes, Winston sleeping of course, the plucked tones of a six string Rickenbacker heralded the first bars of CCR's Suzi Q in my head....she was at it again - she's hard to resist and very addictive, that Suzie Q...



Oh Suzie Q
Oh Suzie Q Baby I love you
Suzie Q

I like the way you walk
I like the way you talk
I like the way you walk I like the way you talk
Suzie Q

Oh say that youll be true
Oh say that youll be true
Oh say that youll be true and never leave me blue
Suzie Q

Oh say that youll be mine
Oh say that youll be mine
Oh say that youll be mine Baby all the time
Suzie Q...

And that was it: we were off on an adventure.   Blasting through Weigles and Doumont, the puddles were bayous and the mud was gumbo, and Suzie just frolicked - shaking it off, walking and talking through the water-filled traps with ease.  It's not like a street bike: water just doesn't seem to make a difference to the FS roads. 

And she took me right there.  How did she know?

The fish were rising - everywhere...  

After hanging my helmet, my favourite stump was waiting for me, just like I left it last time.  Has anybody been there since?  And one look over that placid lake with the rises all around me and I knew -knew! - that I was in for a treat...It was the first cast over one of the rises with the old rusty rooster-tail that got the first bite almost immediately.  Like a jolt of electricity the bugger bit: the fish was big and I hauled it up, with a desperate flourish it skipped over the water and spat the hook.  But I knew he'd be back.  A few casts later, and I had him.  But the others, while still rising didn't want to touch the rooster after what they'd seen.  So I changed it, putting on something different; something dubious.  Recommended by a friend, I knew if I caught nothing on it here, today, with all this action, then it was a Christmas-tree ornament and nothing more. 

I needen't have feared.  Within half an hour I had lost three and caught these two to add to the first...

That's a ten inch knife...I think they're Cutthroat, although they looked rainbow-like on the sides, but the red slash they all have on their chins...and the fight!  Oh, and check out the lure...it had a nice action!

And, if you can believe it, the ride back in the dusk was even better than the ride in. 

Suzi, I think I love you...

4 comments:

  1. YOU DOG!! I came right inside and checked my email to see if you'd got home early and had a twinge to get out there. Oh well, next time! Fantastic looking fish, although I did notice that that's the smaller knife that you also carry, (the 4"), and the bottom fish was cleverly Photoshopped. Nice going! Did you eat them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super-Duper lure strikes again. Love that freakin lure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the bait you used? They look pretty small! I think the fish sacrificed a few babies for you. They were probably just below the surface laughing at your excitement when you pulled out the two "special" fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you're having size difficulties again. That's a 4" knife, and this isn't the only occurrence of a measurement error.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.