Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rhododendron Lake Rediscovered...


24 years ago, I remember driving a date to Rhododendron Lake in my Mum's Subaru.  It was snowy out, and the lake was frozen.  My date, now my wife, and my sister, both skied and skated on the lake.  This astounds me because, yesterday, Andy and I decided to ride out to the lake.  Now I'm not sure if we took exactly the same route as I did all those years ago, but by the time we finally battled some gnarly boulder-strewn gullies that could be loosely termed trails, I didn't know whether to be impressed with the my former 22 year old's brash determination, or whether I should be disappointed with my apparent lack of respect for parent's vehicle and the lives of my womenfolk contained within!



We started, as usual at Doumont/Weigles, which, although slightly wet and muddy, wasn't as bad as we thought it would be after the last few days of rain.  But for a quick stop in the tank traps to remove ATV inspired log jams, we made it easily out to the logging road headed south towards Boomerang Lake and Branch 142.  We turned right and scooted NW up Branch 142 until we met the Englishman River Main.  Turning left and heading SW, we shortly turned left again onto Branch 155A at a signpost which ambiguously said "Rhododendron Lake", but lucked an arrow.  A quick reference to both the Backroad Map Book and my TOPO maps on the iPhone showed us that apparently both routes (staying on the Englishman River Main for a bit longer before turning onto 155F, or taking 155A would both eventually get you to Rhodo Lake).  We scooted up the 155A.  This branch is well groomed in most places and there are some straight stretches where 50-70 kmh speeds are entirely reasonable, although standing on the pegs is advisable as the surface changes from dirt to pebble in places. At about 5km in, the 155A splits.  Only when you reach this fork are you entirely sure that you are actually on a road that takes you to Rhododendron Lake: a sign indicates that you should go right, and not continue up the more promising and better graded road that gently climbs away to the left.  I couldn't help thinking that if I wanted to keep my fishing hold private, I would paint a sign and hang it up deliberately pointing the wrong way too.  Perhaps it's just the way my mind works.  After less than another km, the road splits again: right and rocky up-hill, or left and level along a marsh. After a brief chat, we decided to take the right fork and proceed up hill, with Andy's "your the boss" confidence boosting endorsement ringing in my ears, we negotiated a trail (155B) which had evidence of another vehicle having recently been on it.  Looking at the maps, both forks go to the lake: one, the shorter one, skirts round its south-west side counter clockwise; the other (marked in red in a later image below) goes clockwise to the southeast-skirting a marsh-for a long way then turns abruptly west, as shown on the map below:



We climbed 155B, at one point taking a wrong turn to the left a km in (you can see it as the first fork on the map above), which took us past an incongruously parked yellow VW bug - sans occupants- to a bluff with a gorgeous view.  Unfortunately, the usual shotgun shells and empty beer containers were in evidence too.  Turning back we got back onto 155B and climbed.  The trail was one that would have made me wince a few months ago, but now seems easy.  Hats off to Andy who seemed to negotiate the whole thing like a pro too.  There are duff sections of pine needles and forest floor type soil which give way to bouldery loose rock, but both bikes had no difficulty in negotiating these.  Finally, after 3 1/2 km or so, we happened on another sign which sent us left and into a parking area for the lake. 


You can see the parking spot below on GE:
Rhododendron Lake has fair numbers of small cutthroat, rainbow and steelhead.  The cutthroat are stocked annually.  The 5.7 Ha lake is at 366m in elevation.  Fishing begins in late April and is continuous until June. The fishing is fairly slow in the summertime because the lake is only 16 feet (4.9m) deep, and the water warms at this time of the year.  By late September to early October, the fishing gets good again until winter.  Fly fisherman and spincasters can do well working the fringes around the lake.  Thee deepest part of the lake is right in the centre.  The best place to shore fish is at the south end of the lake next to the access road as the north end has shallow water (Fishing BC)...

After walking in from the trail off the parking circle, you veer east (right) and find a couple of little fishing spots (one marked by a commemorative plaque) which are good places to cast from as they are snag free.  I got a few hits here, but it was Andy who nearly landed my fish, but the single barbless hook allowed the bugger to wriggle free inches from the shoreline.  It looked a good pan size too. 
(Above) A beautiful lake, Rhododendron was subject to some winds which were causing our casts to be shorter than we would have liked.  Andy, here shown moments after eating a wheat biscuit, is suddenly looking piqued...moments later that fern was to have other uses...

Back in April, I had tried to get to Rhodo lake, but had taken the left fork, which I am still convinced, and the map shows you can take to get there, but about 3 km in, there was a windfall blocking the trail...I'd like to give that route a try next time...



After fishing we met a trio of ATV'ers who had just come along the powerlines and down from the east to the south side of the lake.  They were a little rattled by what they described as a very steep descent.  They told us if we continued on along the trail we had been on (155B) we would hit the Englishman River and Hilliers.  We were anxious to find the Englishman river for a spot of more fishing and so were game to give it a go.


According to GE and the Backroad Mapbook, the Mystery Trail that we tried, but decided to turn back on due to time constraints, may be an alternative route back to 155F or even 155A...

After an aborted effort to continue on 155B, we turned back and retraced our route all the way back to the Englishman River Main.  We then turned left for 14 km to the Englishman River Bridge and the start of 143A.  Despite Andy's usual Welsh cynicism, I clambered down under the bridge and began casting down stream.  Immediately I had a strong succession of bites.  Andy then joined me on the other side of the bridge and promptly caught my fish!  Again!  How remarkably parasitic: the doubting Thomas benefits from the Englishman again!

 The artist at work on the Englishman River
And, despite evidence to the contrary, he didn't purchase it at Save On.  That's our story and we're sticking to it.  It was a monster, as you can see against the backdrop of a huge bin-bag liner, and Vicky, myself, Iris, and Andy feasted on it for the whole of the rest of the day to this.  Stuffed we were.

All in all, I think that was my favourite ride of all so far.  Andy was great company and the bikes were faultless.  If it has illustrated something to me, it's that I need to start some sort of fitness program to get my clutch hand and legs stronger.  Although I didn't notice it the time, my legs are burning today from the peg standing...Well worth it though!

2 comments:

  1. Bastard!! I look about seventy in that shot. Okay, it's a war you be wanting. Is Photoshop fair play?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's my fault?? I just took the picture! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but too many Nigerian robots are trying to sell me weird shaped vegetables from Sweden.